Saturday, June 30, 2012

UNREQUITED

Published in the 1996 "Muse" , a UW - Whitewater  - Literary Arts Magazine

You didn't think I saw you at Super Valu-
But I did.
Your body lean and fat-free.
Chock-full of goodness as  you stood by the meat.

Once you stood in a different light
And told how you didn't love me.
I'm not your Barrel-O-Fun anymore-
And I'm not your golden sponge cake.

I followed you furtively
Past margarine and eggs and cartons of milk
Til you met  your boyfriend at the deli
Over shaved ham and shattered hopes.

I watched as you wheeled up your cart
And checked me out of your life.
"Wait!" ...I wanted to say--
"Ill try harder, so you don't have to"

But instead I watched you leave. It's alright--
I'm well-packaged and an Xtra Big Value--
Two for the price of one. Besides, I have a long shelf life
And stay crunchy in milk.

There will be other consumers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment